Pages

Saturday 21 December 2019

Summer Learning Journey: Day 5 Activity 2

In 2015, Yusra and her older sister fled and set off a dangerous journey to Europe to find safety, they travelled through Lebanon to Turkey. Before leaving for Greece in an overcrowded dinghy(boat).

But, 15 minutes of crossing the sea, the boat’s engine broke down, but Yusra didn’t want to let any of her passengers drown/die. But, Yusra is also a professional swimmer, so Yusra and her sister accompanied with two others swam for three and a half hours in open water to stop their dinghy from turning upside down. During this time, they had saved 20 people.

1 comment:

  1. Kia ora Jerome! Olive and the sunshine here. The weather is absolutely wonderful today. I'm super grateful for the bright blue sky and lack of wind! I hope it stays this beautiful today.

    Thank you for your blog post! I really enjoyed reading your recount of Yusra Mardini! Isn't she such an inspirational young woman? I can't imagine swimming for three hours straight. She must have so much endurance and determination! I really like the detail and rhythm of your writing, it flows really well and is such an enjoyable read. Ka pai on all your hard work!

    Do you like swimming? I do, my favourite stroke is breaststroke because it was my fastest one when I was younger!

    Ngā mihi,
    Olive

    ReplyDelete